Whole DEBONED Bird average 950g
Deboned Chicken with Feta and Sundried Tomato Stuffing
4 Garlic Cloves
80 g Sundried Tomatoes
150 g Feta
15 ml Fresh Thyme
250 g Chicken or Pork Mince
Salt and Black Pepper to season
1 Whole Chicken
String to tie with
500 g Potatoes
- Peel and finely chop the onion.
- Peel and finely chop or grate the garlic.
- Pick the thyme leaves off the twigs and chop them finely.
- If your tomatoes are dry soak them in about 100ml boiling water for 15-20 minutes.
- Drain and chop the sundried tomatoes. Keep the water for gravy.
- Mix together the mince, onions, garlic, thyme, sundried tomato and feta. Season and place in the fridge until needed.
- Peel and quarter the potatoes and place in a saucepan with a bit of salt and water. Bring to the boil and cook for 10 minutes while you debone the chicken.
- Preheat the oven to 1800
- Lightly season the inside of the chicken and then spoon the stuffing in the middle of the chicken.
- Bring the sides of the chicken up and roll it over the stuffing.
- Using the string tie the chicken up so that none of the stuffing falls out.
- Place in a roasting tin and pack the par-boiled drained potatoes around the chicken. Season and drizzle with a bit of olive oil or melted butter. I chose to brown the chicken lightly on top of the stove first before roasting.
- Roast in the preheated oven for about 45 minutes to 1 hour until the chicken and stuffing is cooked through and the potatoes are golden brown and crispy.
- Use the juices in the pan to make a delicious jus or gravy.
- Place on a board, cut the string off the chicken and carve into slices before serving with the roast potatoes, gravy and veggies.
Recipe: Winelands Kitchen