Wensleydale Organic Rolled Oats 750g
These rolled oats are high in fibre, vitamins and minerals as well as other essential building blocks for a healthy body and mind. Oat kernels have been milled to produce these oat flakes, which have a delicious nutty flavour. Health Connection Rolled Oats are by their nature wheat-free, high in fibre and sodium-free. They are also a good source of magnesium, selenium, manganese and phosphorous. The protein in oats is almost equivalent to the quality of soy protein, and combined with the dietary fiber, makes it the ideal food to start the day with.
There are so many health benefits associated with these wholesome, unprocessed oats:
- Cholesterol Reduction: Over recent years it has been demonstrated that consumption of rolled oats (in amounts of about 125-150 g per day), or oat bran in smaller amounts, will lower blood cholesterol levels, especially in people who have high initial levels.
- Diabetes Control: Cereal grains are digested very slowly, producing only a gradual rise in the level of sugar in the blood. As a result, the body needs less insulin to control blood sugar after eating plain, unadorned cereal grains than after eating some other high-carbohydrate foods such as bread or potato.
- Cardiovascular Disease Prevention: A reduction in serum cholesterol levels decreases the risk of developing heart disease.
- Atherosclerosis Prevention: Avenanthramides are phenolic antioxidants, which are present in oats, and have the potential to reduce plaque build in the artery walls, and may contribute to the prevention of atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries).
- Note: Oats contain small amounts of gliadin. Celiac disease is an intestinal allergic disorder whose victims are sensitive to gluten and gliadin, proteins in wheat and rye . People with celiac disease cannot digest the nutrients in these grains.
Delicious added to muesli or used in baking bread, biscuits or muffins. To make fine oatmeal grind oats in a blender. To cook as porridge: Bring 1 cup oats and 2 cups water to the boil with a pinch of salt and allow to simmer for 10 minutes. Suggestion: Serve with milk, honey and chopped nuts.